Powered By Blogger

Why are you proud of being Peruvian?

El Peru es Hermoso

El Peru es Hermoso
Todos Unidos

Invitation

This is an invitation so you can publish your ideas, opinions or any requests or news related to our beloved country: Peru. There are so many reasons to be proud to be Peruvian!

Buscar este blog

Seguidores

Entradas populares

sábado, 28 de junio de 2008

Quedan maravillados por Machu Picchu

Saturday June 28, 2008

Amazing Machu Picchu
By JOLEEN LUNJEW

Imagine getting the chance to wander around the ruins of a lost ancient civilisation — it’s an extraordinary experience.
The trek up the narrow dirt path to the Lost City of the Incas was long and tiring, but Lee Chooi Peng wasn’t fazed. In fact, she was excited at the prospect of coming face to face with a place that she had only seen in postcards and pictures.
“I wasn’t tired at all. It was one of the best moments in my life as I was about to see Machu Picchu for myself. No more looking at postcards and wishing I was there.

“I was living the life!” says the 24-year-old stock controller, whose entry in Great Eastern’s Live100percent online contest won her the chance to experience a trek up to Machu Picchu, Peru.
The campaign rewards Great Eastern policyholders by giving them 52 different experiences, one a week, including driving on the Nurburgring F1 Circuit in Germany, living with gorillas in Uganda, undergoing aerial combat training in Phoenix, Arizona, whale-watching in Argentina and visiting the Himalayas in Nepal.
For her reward, Lee was allowed to bring a travelmate, so she chose her mother, Kiaw Tong Kui, 44.
“It was just amazing. That was the first time I went overseas. It was my first passport and the first time I’ve been in a plane or train for so many hours. I was so excited and happy to see all the places that I’d only known through pictures and TV,” says Lee excitedly.
Lee’s adventure began in the city of Cuzco, where she visited several historical sights to learn about the people who lived there and the legends behind the structures.

“I remember this story of an ancient ritual our tour guide told us, which disturbed me. We were at the ruins of a temple in Tambonachay, and our guide brought us to a place where they sacrificed babies to the God of the Sky.
“Newborns were given a drink that induced sleep and they would then be buried alive. Once the baby was dead, they would be dug up and mummified to be placed in holes in the wall overlooking the sacrificial site.
“Apparently, mothers willingly sacrificed their newborns in order to bring rain for the crops. It was considered an honour to be chosen, and their sacrifice would benefit the entire community.
“I could see the holes where the mummified babies placed but the authorities had taken them away to a museum.
“I felt a chill run down my spine when I heard that and felt that it was just so cruel that a life which had been nurtured with loving care for nine months could be given away just like that,” says Lee.

A visit to Saqsaywaman was next, a place where mannequins in traditional costumes are hung from the trees.
“I thought it was an odd way to showcase their tradition but I guess it served the purpose as everybody got to see them. We visited a fortress and more ruins where there was a rock which was exceptionally cold compared to the others. It is believed that it was used as an operation table.
“Our guide told us that when an animal was sacrificed, they would look at where the blood flowed. To the left meant something good would happen and if it flowed to the right, it was a bad omen,” explains Lee.
Lee and her mother took an early, three-hour train ride to Machu Picchu the next morning. They zig-zagged up the mountain to the foot of Machu Picchu where they stopped to browse at a bazaar selling local crafts made from Alpaca fleece such as hats, hand-woven bags, shawls and clothing.
Another 15-minute bus ride and a 20-minute walk later, they reached the peak where they got an aerial view of the Lost City.

“It was so beautiful. I met a Western tourist who said that this was his fifth visit and I saw someone in crutches making the climb as well. Machu Picchu must be exceptionally special if they wanted to visit it so many times. I could see why now. It is magnificent,” recalls Lee.
After taking pictures from the peak, Lee descended into the city.
“I felt a shiver as I approached the entrance. The city has about 200 buildings, mostly residences, although there are temples, storage structures and other public buildings.
“We were allowed to explore the ruins but had to be careful in certain areas as the buildings were fragile.
“I was amazed at the structures as they were constructed out of granite blocks of various sizes that fitted perfectly without mortar. The joints are so tight that even the thinnest blade couldn’t be forced between the stones.
“It made me wonder how these people could have achieved such architectural genius when we, with our modern building materials and tools, still make so many mistakes.
“Our guide explained to us the significance of each building and told us a bit about how the Incans lived in those days.
“We explored the temples, touched the ceremonial stones, marvelled at the ingenious crop terraces, placed our hands in the prison holds, and appreciated the natural boulder shaped like a mountain range behind it.
“There was a work area which had circular stones jutting out from the wall. Back in those days, each worker was given a rope to tie around the stone for each day he worked. Their salaries were calculated based on the number of knots around the stone. Imagine if we used that system now. I’m sure there would be a lot of cheating involved!
“There were a few animals wandering around as well. The most common ones were the llama and alpaca, used for meat and prized for their fleece. We even saw a rabbit that our guide said was a permanent resident at a particular rock. She said that it was always there every time she visited,” says Lee.
Next day, Lee and her mum took a leisurely train ride to the town of Puno, passing the Andean mountain range along the meandering Huatanay River.
“The water looked so clear and refreshing that I wanted to go down and touch it. The mountains were so beautiful and the desert was something new and interesting to me. I was so fascinated with the tumble weeds rolling across the desert. The scene was just like out of a cowboy movie!” exclaims Lee.
“Another fascinating sight was of the traders selling their wares on the side of and even on the tracks themselves!
“I was in the last open-air carriage and watched in amazement as the traders coolly crossed the tracks just seconds after the train had passed. Our guide told us that there was only one train coming through a day so I guess it’s not that dangerous,” adds Lee.
The trip proved to be seven amazing days for Lee and her mum, an experience both of them will never forget.
“I am so glad I had the opportunity to go to Machu Picchu. The adventure was truly something, the memories priceless. I wonder where my next trip will be,” smiles Lee.

No hay comentarios: